LYNCHBURG REGIONAL BUSINESS ALLIANCE
Position: Director of Public Policy & Special Programming
Wage Classification: Exempt
Reports to: CEO/COO
Location: 300 Lucado Place, Lynchburg VA 24504
General Position Description:
The Director of Public Policy & Special Programming manages the Lynchburg Regional Business Alliance’s public policy work, monitors and provides guidance on issues affecting the Alliance and its members, and represents the organization and its members at the local, state, and federal levels on public policy issues impacting the regional business community.
This person possesses a mastery of tact, a working knowledge of the political arena, is the soul of discretion, works well with people from all walks of life, demonstrates the ability to assume responsibility without direct supervision, exercises initiative and judgment, and makes decisions within the scope of assigned authority.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor local and state public policy issues of strategic importance to the Alliance, its members and the business climate in the region and develop implementation plans for support or opposition as necessary.
- Serve as the organization’s liaison with elected and appointed government officials. This encompasses local advocacy efforts including testifying before City Council and boards of supervisors, as well as providing support and guidance for state advocacy efforts and on federal issues where warranted.
- Oversee federal initiatives and relationship management with our federal delegation.
- Oversee and coordinate all lobbying efforts on behalf of the Alliance and attend annual Virginia General Assembly sessions to advocate on issues supported by the regional business community.
- Develop and coordinate testimony by leadership before governing bodies and legislative committees as needed.
- Develop positions and report information on public policy issues to the Alliance’s executive committee, board, and membership. This includes drafting position papers, comments, and correspondence for the Alliance volunteer leadership.
- Provide staff support and guidance to the the following committee’s and coalitions: Legislative Affairs Committee, Small Business Committee, Transportation Advocacy Group, Air Service Partnership, Blue Ridge Economic Coalition. US29 Coalition, 501 Coalition, TransDominion Express and VA West.
- Work with CEO/COO to:
- produce annual agenda of the legislative priorities
- develop media campaigns and strategies for issue advocacy
- monitor regular meetings of local city councils and board of supervisors
- Report on activities related to public policy to the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and membership.
- Develop, supervise, and coordinate with staff on public policy events such as Candidates Forum, DC Train In, Legislative Wrap-Up, issue forums, legislative receptions, and others as warranted.
- Develop and supervise implementation of an annual budget for support of division/department operations.
- Coordinate with Director of Marketing on social media strategies for sharing advocacy and public policy information with the Alliance membership.
- Assist the Events Management Team with strategic planning as related to current and future events.
- Provide administrative support to the Blue Ridge Economic Coalition, the Committee to Advance the TransDominion Express.
- Other projects and duties, as assigned.
Abilities, Knowledge and Skills:
- Substantive working knowledge of the lawmaking and lobbying process at the local, state, and federal levels, and of key public policy issues impacting the regional business community.
- Strong communications and public relations skills and proven ability to present ideas in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner. The ability to advocate in a non-partisan manner. Professional experience with emerging social media platforms.
- Demonstrated relationship building skills, especially with policymakers at all levels of government.
- Good judgment skills and discretion.
- The ability to manage multiple deadlines with exceptional attention to detail.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, business or related field.
- Three to five years of recent experience in government relations.